Tuesday, April 2, 2013

gear for moab: a relationship, an art


Gear of all sports and activities is one of my favorite things to talk about.... and spend money on. Your gear is a pure extension of your soul and body. Okay, okay, so maybe it's not that important, but it is pretty essential to whether you have a good adventure or a not so good one. As seen in the picture, I use several "vintage" pieces of gear. My tent is a backpacking tent called a walrus.  Complete with quick set-up, spaciousness and rain flaps, this lightweight, two-person tent easily serves its purpose.  Also pictured is my large Coleman Peak 1 External Frame backpack, an item I am not as in love with.  However, after living out of a backpack for several days, one tends to create a bond with that pack.  It is pretty obvious to me that, that relationship is one of love and frustration.  I really need a new pack.... (any suggestions?) 



A  love-filled relationship has blossomed between the MSR Pocket Rocket backpacking stove and myself.  This 3 oz. stove is shockingly powerful and boiled about two cups of freezing water in less than two minutes.  I'm not trying to advertise here, I'm honestly saying this is my favorite piece of gear I currently possess.  And how important it is, considering how much I love food and tea!

 
All packed up with my stove, pots/pans, tent, food, book (Tao the Watercourse Way), extra layers, climbing shoes, maps, massive amounts (and pounds!) of water and a 0° sleeping bag, I was pretty exhausted after the first day of hiking.  Somehow I managed to somewhat accomplish tree pose atop this interesting rock at the start of my journey into The Needles of Moab, Utah.  Gear can be your best friend, your only chance of survival, but it can also be a real pain in the ass! What is some of your favorite gear?

namaste 


 


4 comments:

  1. Kelty 80 Coyote is a superb pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I have actually been looking at the women's 75 version of that pack. Thanks for the input Wayne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete