Monday, April 22, 2013

eating artichokes minus the butter


I love artichokes, but I have only ever eaten them accompanied by an ocean of melted butter. Mmmmm butter... sorry not the point! I have been searching for a healthier way to eat this vegetable, but didn't find anything that looked adequate. So, I made my own concoction. 


Making artichokes in this way is simple and much healthier than dipping each leaf into melted butter and tastes almost as good! 

  • boil water, olive oil, lemon juice, Italian spices and s + p
  • cut off the stem and the tops of the leaves
  • steam your artichoke for 20 minutes
  • while it is steaming, add more oil and spices to the top so it can soak up the flavors
  • remove your creation, add cheese  (I used grated parmesan), let the cheese melt
  • devour

Let me know what you think! Also, how do you guys prepare artichoke? Happy eating. 

namaste 

4 comments:

  1. I eat them all the time but I do it a little different--no butter. I only like the big artichokes and I dont't take out any inside leaves or "choke". I cut off the stem to make it flat, then I spread it as open as I can. I boil them with a little fresh lemon, then i take them out, heat the oven and put them on a baking stone with parchment paper on it and I use either olive oil or coconut oil and pour over the artichoke, the coconut oil is solid so it is easier. Then I let it roast in the oven and sprinkle it with a little salt if you like the salty taste. If you did it right, the outside leaves get crispy like potato chips and the inside choke is very little and easy to take out. Since I use the oil it does not need butter but you can make a dip for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm baking them sounds intriguing. I'll have to try that! What does baking them do to the heart?

      Delete
  2. They are probably the best hearts you have even eaten, they are soft and flavored by the oil and the salt. The greatest part is that nothing gets wasted and the crunchy outer leaves are so good.
    I have the oven on about 400 degrees. I usually do a lot of roasting at one time so the oven is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose with human papilloma virus (HPV) 4 years ago and i met a doctor he told me there is no cure and i have be taking some medication the warts multiplied when trying to removed them and it got me embarrass and pains, luckily few weeks ago i was recommend to Dr Onokun for natural treatment after one week i got 100% cure and all the wart and pains got disappeared, i sheared this post because its part of my life experience, encase anyone need speedy help about this cure email Dr Onokun via, dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete